Monday, August 28, 2006

One less race

Here is more evidence that I’m getting soft. Sunday morning there was a race about 40 miles from here. Right up until the time I needed to leave, I debated about going. I had a cold since Tuesday and wasn’t feeling completely better. But the sun was out so I decided to go. By the time I got to the race, the weather had turned and it started to rain. A cold, rainy, 5-turn criterium just did not sound appealing, so I left. Fortunately, at Autobahn speeds the trip back was quick.

Back in Düsseldorf, it had not rained. I went out for a nice 3 hour ride then washed my bike for the first time since I’ve been here.

If this had been a race back home, I would have just done it in the rain. Back home I would have had teammates also willing to race in the rain. Back home I know how everyone rides and I don’t so feel uneasy on a slippery course. And back home we would of course rehash the “epic” race Tuesday night at Westlake.

It was pretty easy for me not to do the race. There was no need for me to tell teammates or anyone else I wasn’t staying. I just got in the car and left. It’s a nice change to be completely on my own. But I also find myself missing the camaraderie of the racing scene back at home – another one of those things you don’t think about until it’s not there. I’m sure there is camaraderie here too, but between the language barrier and being a stranger, I haven’t yet found it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not going soft. It's called being "normal". Despite missing 5 weeks this year, I'm actually glad to have a weekend or two off from racing in September.

With age comes wisdom. We hope.