Friday, August 11, 2006

Carsick in the UK


Mon - Thurs I was in the UK. My colleague Richard picked me up from Birmingham airport (which turned out to be a wise choice). I received an immediate introduction to driving in England. I'd been here once before, but don't remember the driving being like this.

Richard has been in the military, and spent some time driving Range Rovers off road (for which they are intended, he says). He's taken off-road training from Rover. Unfortunately for me, I think he missed the part where they explained the difference between on- and off-road.

Between the constant speed changes, hard braking, ever-present roundabouts, and the disorientation of driving on the left, I think I spent most of the trip with this low grade car-sickness.

I saw a number of road signs saying things like "82 fatalities in 5 years". I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be good news or cautionary. Going by the way they drive, I'm thinking it was good news.

But we did see some nice English countryside (particularly in Wales), visited Hampton Court Palace, drank some real English ale, and had some very good work meetings.



This is "Iron Bridge", which is the first iron bridge ever made (ca. 1779)



Hampton Court Palace, built by Henry VIII.



Road sign with both Welsh and English.

No comments: