Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A new traveler

My daughter Carolyn came to visit last week. She flew here by herself, as an “unaccompanied minor”. At 13, she’s already becoming a confident traveler. Earlier this summer she spent 10 days in Mexico with a classmate, then flew back to the US by herself.

I’m pleased she’s had the opportunity travel on her own. As a parent I naturally had some anxiety, but overall I think it’s positive. We are of course protective of our children, but sometimes I’ve had the feeling this comes out as an unwarranted fear of the world.

I remember being surprised last November, while staying in Munich, when I saw two girls Carolyn’s age riding the subway at 11:00 PM. They appeared to be normal kids, on their way from a movie or something (i.e., not out looking for trouble).

At the time I couldn’t imagine my daughter doing that. But since I’ve been living here, I’ve noticed many children riding the public transportation without adults, walking around the city, in stores, on their bikes, out in parks. They seem quite at ease.

I also get the sense that other people – adults – tend to look out for them. I wonder if that is perhaps the flip side of telling other people what to do.

No comments: