Thursday, January 11, 2007

What winter?


The weather here has been dreadful. It reminds me of Cleveland in late March-early April: cool, grey, and rainy.

But it's not cold. And it's not snowing.

One day this week I rode in shorts and a jersey (with arm and knee warmers though). 60 degrees F on January 9!

I have all my snowboard gear here, thinking I would do some of that this winter. There might be snow in the mountains (7 hours to the south). But with the warm weather, who even thinks about it?

People around here are skiiing/snowboarding in the indoor ski hall in Neuss, about 10 minutes from here. That is something I may try, just for the curiosity factor.

I've seen a few nordic ski events on television, and they all appear to be using machine-made snow on the race courses.

I'm not complaining about this, because I would rather be out riding my bike. And from what I hear it's been pretty similar back in the U.S., which means I am gaining no advantage by being able to ride.

I guess I need to look for another edge: a training week in sunny Spain? Find out where Jens Voigt lives and infiltrate his training rides? Or Erik Zabel? Maybe talk to one of the old-school East Germans and ask about some "training tips"?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it has been unusually mild so far here in NE OH. That is coming to an end as temps are dipping into the low-30's over the next week and then into the low-20's near the end of January.

Brrrrr. It's OK though. I'm leaving Thu 18-Jan for 10 days in Mexico. 4 in Playa del Paraiso and then 6 days on Cozumel. Forecast: low-80's and sunny.

Yes, I can't wait :). If only I could take my bike ...

Brian B said...

hey maybe you can rent one of those beach cruisers and ride there. i mean, I'm sure you're going to be bored just sitting on the beach in the sun all day.

Anonymous said...

If you make the trip to Spain make sure you don't ask anyone named Dr. Fuentes for any training tips.

Brian B said...

or Dr. Ferrari if I go to Italy?

actually I'm looking at doing a week of riding somewhere when I finish up here (first week in March)

Anonymous said...

Yeah him too. May just want to avoid all European doctors.


Think about Girona Spain for your week of training. There are still a lot of English speaking riders there that will probably let you tag along a bit. Good luck.

Brian B said...

looking at Majorca also, which has been recommended. seems to be a popular early season training spot (and I could rent a decent bike there instead of schlepping mine there and back).