Saturday, January 27, 2007

Sunny in Girona


I want to move to Girona (Spain).

That's my impression after one day here. Germany is great, don't get me wrong. But it's hard to compete with sunshine, mountains, the ocean, good restaurants, and great roads to ride on.

I was able to find a cheap flight on Ryanair for the weekend. Then found a place that would rent a road bike. The weather forecast called for sun with highs around 50.

Most people fly here then go on to Barcelona. But Girona is well known as a cycling area -- Lance Armstrong had an apartment here, and other pro riders come here to train and live during the season. I can tell why -- the riding is great and Girona is big enough to have lots of restaurants, but not overwhelmingly big.

The first ride today took me to the coast, then for maybe an hour and a half along the coastal road that was as spectacular as any road I've ridden on: views of the Mediterranean, seaside cliffs, constant climbing or decsending, and almost no traffic.


As much as I like Germany, this is a refreshing change -- from the gray weather, from the traffic, and also from the general atmosphere. It seems obvious that people are more easy-going here, at least in Girona, and that things move a bit more slowly. Many of the restaurants don't even open for dinner until 8 or 8:30.

P.S. to Jim Mullins: here's another one you were right on.

Anyone want to come join me first week in March?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! sounds absolutely beautiful.
Enjoy yourself.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that things worked out on the location. I wish that I too was there and if I could figure out a way to swing it in March I certainly would. I have never been there myself but have always read great things from people who have gone there to ride. I have also heard that most of the pros that live there are really cool to visitors. Have you seen anyone? I imagine that they are all at camps in various parts of the world at this time. Enjoy!!!!

Brian B said...

I didn't see any pros around. I was talking to the hotel owner, and he said they come more in March.

On Sunday, shortly after leaving to ride, I did get passed by a guy who was motorpacing. He had on a jersey that had the colors of the FC Barcelona soccer team ... so don't know if he was anyone important (no, I don't think it was Ronaldinho)

I thought about slipping in behind him ... but it was too early in the ride for that.