Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Hot springs and vino


If I could, I would ride every day. But I know that you need rest days too. My body was sore in odd places from riding a strange bike, so when I read in my guide book about some hot springs not too far from here, it seemed a good idea for a rest day.

I decided to head for a town called Bagno Vignoni. It looked to be a 2-hour drive, and was also not far from Montalcino, which is known for a particular type of very good wine (Brunello) produced only in that region.

Arriving in Bagno Vignoni, I was surprised to find an extremely charming, very small town, mostly deserted at this time of year. There is a large pool in the town center, surrounded by old stone buildings. They don’t allow bathing in the pool anymore – I can imagine it would make the town center a mess, especially during the high season.

To use the hot springs, you must go to the local hotel (and pay), where the hot water flows into a large pool. Just like the rest of town, the pool was mostly deserted. The water was very hot where it poured into the pool, and then a little cooler farther away. I soaked for a while and enjoyed the views out over the valley.


I left to eat lunch, outside at a small restaurant just in view of old pool. I had an excellent meal of polenta baked with cheeses and tomatoes, and broiled pork tenderloin wrapped in pancetta and served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar – simple but made very well.

After lunch I came back to the pool and soaked for another hour. It was incredibly quiet and peaceful. I felt as though I had been extremely lucky in finding this place, at this time of year, without any of the tourist crowds that are surely here in summer.


On the way back home I stopped in Montalcino and sampled the wine at one of the many wine bars. Being so relaxed, I couldn’t resist paying way too much for a bottle of one of the good Brunellos – something I wouldn't do under normal circumstances. I may have to ditch some clothes to make sure there is room in my suitcase for a well-protected bottle of wine.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Brian, it appears you definitely made the correct choice of location to spend your final week in Europe.

Thanks for the eye-candy photos. I need to see something like that to contrast against the stark, bleak, monochrome landscape that is NE Ohio in late winter / early spring.

Someday, I will travel to Italy. No idea when that will be, but ... some day.

Anonymous said...

Oh Brian, you are having way too much fun. Photos are great!

Brian B said...

eye-candy is right on ... I'd been to Italy before, but this area is unbelievable. It's like a postcard everywhere you go.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Thank you again for letting us share in your experiences. You are definitely enjoying yourself.
This is for Tris...your comments make me smile and sometimes laugh out loud.

Mom

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.