Thursday, November 16, 2006

What do I miss / don't miss?

The weather was unusually warm for November, and I was able to go out for a nice ride. On the way home, I rode over one of the bridges that cross the Rhine. The city was to my left, and barges traveling down the river to my right.

There was one moment where it registered: I am going to miss being here when it is time to leave.

That started me thinking, what are the things I miss and don’t miss?

I miss:
My family. No need to say more.
Good pizza. Italian restaurants here are good, but I like the pizza I make, with home-made crust, sautéed mushrooms, and Italian prosciutto.
Cooking in our kitchen.
Shopping at our local Heinen’s. The stores here aren’t even close.
Riding in Geagua county. We don’t know how good we have it.
Riding with friends and teammates.
Stores open past 8pm. If you don’t get to the market by 8pm Saturday, no food for you on Sunday.
Bookstores with books in English.
My leisurely drive into work on back roads.
Driving at reasonable speeds. Driving here can be a white-knuckle experience.

I don’t miss:
Television. I could not even tell you who played in the World Series, and that doesn’t bother me at all.
News on television and in papers. What if everyone stopped watching the TV news and reading the paper? Would politicians still have so much BS to say?
Stores open at all hours. Convenience is nice, but it is refreshing to have a time where not everyone is out shopping and buying.
Giant parking lots. One of the ugliest things we have at home.
Strip malls. Um, see above.
Suburban sprawl. Hmm, see above again.
Having to drive everywhere. One of the things I really love about being here is being able to walk or take the public transportation to just about everything I need.
Chain restaurants everywhere.
65 mph speed limits. OK, it’s a 2-sided coin.
Hearing only English. I never get tired of hearing people speaking a foreign language.
Sloppy Americans. I hate to say this, but the contrast is startling.


I'm spending 2 weeks in the US over Thanksgiving, so we'll see what else comes to mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?! You don't miss me?

I'm crushed.

Brian B said...

hey, you're covered under 2 categories: 1. riding with friends and teammates, 2. family -- you guys are like family, you know, everyone's got that eccentric cousin they pretend doesn't exist.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I think.